Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the procedure to participate/register?
Colleges/Teams should send the completed registration form and abstract via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. It is mandatory to fill all the sections of the form. Following are mandatory during registration:
- Completed registration form (stamped and signed by the college authorities)
- Abstract – up to 500 words
- Name and contact details of the college faculty and the participating students. Abstracts will be shortlisted for the app development phase based on the impact/usefulness and the prospective use of geospatial technology.
2. How many teams can a college have?
A college can have any number of teams.
3. How big should be the team?
A team should have minimum of two and maximum of four members.
4. Can one team submit more than one abstract?
A team can submit up to two abstracts.
5. Can same student be a part of more than one team?
No, You can be part of one team only.
6. When will the registrations close?
You can register and submit abstracts till 31st, August 2018.
7. Can I change the app idea from the one I submitted with my registration?
Teams can submit up to two ideas. Ideas cannot be changed once shortlisted.
8. Is a faculty nomination mandatory?
Yes. One faculty from the college is required for every team. Esri India will continuously interface/interact with the faculty to ensure speedy and timely information flow.
9. What happens after registration closes?
No more abstracts will be accepted after the close of registration. All abstracts received will be evaluated for shortlisting. Teams shortlisted for the next phase will be intimated within one month of registration closure.
10. What happens next if my team’s abstract gets selected post registration?
Team will start working towards developing the proposed app. The app must be developed on Esri’s ArcGIS platform. Esri India has proposed to hold webinar sessions to engage with the participating teams for query resolution. The participating teams will also be provided access credentials to Esri online portal for technical interaction/FAQs. Teams will get about 4 months’ time for developing and submitting their applications.
11. How will the participants obtain Software?
Solution should be on Esri's ArcGIS platform. Teams can use the software licenses available with their colleges if permitted. Alternatively Esri ArcGIS software is available to registered users for app development. Special software licenses for shortlisted teams will be provided for the duration of the app development challenge.
12. From where can I get data?
- Standard base data is available online through map services
- Access through ArcGis online maps
- Study specific data to be generated/created as part of the project by the team members
13. What all artefacts to be submitted for app evaluation?
You will have to submit the following artefacts during participation :
- Detailed Idea/Business Case
- Fully functional application
- Complete source code if applicable (with appropriate commenting)
- User Manual (.doc) - It contains a working demonstration of the complete app. Screenshots should be provided wherever applicable.
14. Where can I refer any sample code snippets or help files?
A large number of online repository is available through www.esri.com/www.esriindia.com The online portal will also help participants to post their queries.
15. What is the evaluation process?
The applications will be judged on the below parameters:
- Uniqueness of the problem statement
- Solution approach
- Usefulness/Citizen impact
- Actual application
- Usage of GIS technology
The top three apps will be awarded during the User Conference.
16. What are the rewards?
The three best applications will receive a certificate and prize money. In addition, trophies will be awarded to the respective institutes of the winning teams along with a memento to the guiding faculty.
1st Prize: INR 1lakh
2nd Prize: INR 75k
3rd Prize: INR 50K