GIS software and technology is a powerful tool for journalists to give greater context and understanding to their stories and can allow media organizations to produce informative, high-quality graphics.
Reporting the News
GIS is becoming an integral way to convey the context and meaning of the news. GIS provides:
- Unbiased reporting – Display patterns and trends with clear infographics.
- Use geospatial analysis to investigate stories. Quickly explore demographic data to provide human context to other data.
- Localized news – Make the news personal by reporting on information from a neighborhood level.
Media as a Business
Identifying new markets, increasing advertising revenue, and keeping distribution costs to a minimum are keys to success for any publisher. GIS gives you a better way to manage your business and helps you:
- Understand customers and their buying habits and find new ones that fit the same profile.
- Discover marketing expenditures through circulation maps, demographic distribution, and other geographic data.
- Present the most in-depth information to attract and retain advertisers.
- Create a comprehensive, efficient distribution plan for newspapers and magazines.
These stories show how business organizations are gaining benefits using GIS technology and spatial analysis.